Funny Questions to Ask Kids
Do you have a child who’s always full of questions?
The average preschooler can ask anywhere from 200 to 300 questions per day and as many as 40,000 questions by the age of 5. And if you’re their go-to person for answers, the constant barrage of questions can be a little wearing.
So why not turn the tables and ask some fun questions of your own?
Asking kids funny questions can be a great way to get to know them better.
The best thing about having some funny questions to ask kids is that there are no wrong answers.
Asking random questions is a favorite family tradition at our house. Trading funny questions can be a great way to pass the time on a road trip, while you’re waiting at the doctor’s office or just have a good conversation with your kids around the dinner table.
If you’re looking for some great conversation starters, here are some of the funniest questions to ask kids.
👉Struggling to create cleaning and decluttering routines? The Organized Home course for busy moms can help! This course covers everything you need to know to get your house in order. If you're ready to create routines that work to keep your home clean and organized and your sanity intact, try The Organized Home!
What to Include on a List of Funny Questions to Ask
There are a lot of questions you can ask kids to get them talking.
- Open-ended questions encourage them to use their imagination.
- Serious questions can give you a sense of your child’s personality.
- Silly questions can spark conversations that end in a good laugh.
Asking kids lots of different questions can be the best way to keep them talking once you get the conversation started.
Funny questions to ask kids about food
1. What’s your favorite food and why?
2. What’s your favorite dinner to eat?
3. Do you have a favorite vegetable?
4. Which vegetable do you like the least?
5. What’s the weirdest thing you’ve ever eaten?
6. What is the best type of cheese to have on pizza?
7. Which goes first, the peanut butter or the jelly?
8. Which came first, the chicken or the egg?
9. What’s your favorite snack and why?
10. What’s your favorite dessert and why?
11. What was the grossest thing you’ve ever had for school lunch?
12. If you could have any treat from the grocery store what would it be?
13. If you could only eat one color of food for the rest of your life, what would you choose?
14. What would you serve if you owned a restaurant?
15. Is there a food you’d like to learn how to cook?
16. If you could get rid of one food forever what would it be?
17. What are your favorite smells at the grocery store?
18. Which foods smell the yuckiest?
Fun questions to ask kids about school
19. Who’s your favorite teacher and why?
20. What is the funniest thing that happened at school today?
21. What’s the craziest thing that’s ever happened at school?
22. Do you have a nickname at school?
23. What’s your favorite subject?
24. Which is your least favorite subject?
25. What’s the most interesting thing you’ve learned at school so far?
26. Who is your best friend at school?
27. What’s your favorite outfit to wear to school?
28. What is the best part of the school day?
29. What’s the worst part of the school day?
30. Who’s the best player at games or sports?
31. If you could go to school by spaceship or submarine, which one would you choose?
32. What would school be like if kids were the teachers?
33. If you could give your school a new name what would it be?
34. What’s the first thing you like to do when you get home from school?
Silly questions for kids
35. What is the weirdest dream you’ve ever had?
36. What’s the best dream you’ve ever had?
37. Can you remember your worst nightmare?
38. Do you remember what you dreamed about last night?
39. If you could have any super power what would it be?
40. What would your superhero name be?
41. Who is your favorite fictional character from a TV show or movie?
42. Can you sing or hum the theme song to your favorite TV show?
43. Who’s your favorite YouTuber to watch?
44. Who’s your favorite fictional character from a book?
45. If you could be any fictional character, who would it be?
46. Do you have a favorite toy? Which one and why?
47. What’s your favorite book to read or have read to you?
48. Which fairy tales do you love the best?
49. Are there any fairy tales you’d want to live in?
50. If you could give yourself a new name what would it be?
51. What is the funniest name you’ve ever heard?
52. What’s the best wi-fi name you can think of?
53. If you had a time machine, where would you travel to and why?
54. What’s your favorite song?
55. What would you invent if you were a mad scientist?
56. Would you rather be a fast swimmer or a fast runner?
57. Can you show me your favorite dance move?
58. Who is your favorite cartoon character and why?
59. If you could only watch your favorite movie for the rest of your life, what would it be?
60. What would you do if a magic beanstalk grew up outside your bedroom window?
61. If you had to live on a deserted island what are three things you would want to have with you?
62. What is the most embarrassing thing that’s ever happened to you?
63. What is your favorite thing to do at an amusement park?
64. Which video game are you best at playing?
65. If you could make one new rule that everyone had to follow what would it be?
Funny questions to ask kids about animals
66. What is your favorite animal and why?
67. Which animal do you think is the weirdest?
68. If you could be any wild animal what would you be?
69. What’s your favorite dinosaur?
70. Would you rather be able to talk to animals or turn into any animal?
71. What does the fox say?
72. What kind of pet would you most like to have?
73. If you could have a pet dragon, what would you name it?
74. What is the worst name for a pet?
75. If your pet could talk, what do you think it would say?
“Get to know” you funny questions to ask kids
76. What’s your favorite holiday?
77. Do you have a favorite season?
78. What is the best gift you’ve ever received for your birthday or a holiday?
79. If you could have one new toy what would it be?
80. Which famous person would you like to meet and why?
81. What’s your favorite color?
82. Do you have a favorite board game?
83. What’s the most wonderful thing you can remember doing as a family?
84. What is the worst thing that’s ever happened to you?
85. Where is your favorite place to go on vacation?
86. What do you want to be when you grow up?
87. What is one thing you would tell your five-year-old self when you’re older?
“Would you rather…?” questions to ask kids
88. Would you rather travel back in time or visit the future?
89. Would you rather be a famous singer or a famous actor?
90. Would you rather have one good friend or 20 friends you don’t know that well?
91. Would you rather be the size of an ant or the size of a T-rex?
92. Would you rather have 10 sisters or 10 brothers?
93. Would you rather be able to read people’s minds or be invisible?
94. Would you rather get rid of books or social media?
95. Would you rather have hands for feet or feet for hands?
96. Would you rather have ice cream for dinner or hot dogs for breakfast?
“Have you ever…?” funny questions to ask kids
97. Have you ever picked your nose and eaten it?
98. Have you ever wiped your boogers on the wall?
99. Have you ever farted and blamed it on someone else?
100. Have you ever told a lie?
101. Have you ever gotten your siblings or friends in trouble on purpose?
102. Have you ever been really scared?
103. Have you ever felt really brave?
104. Have you ever stood up to a bully?
105. Have you ever been lonely?
Final thoughts on funny questions to ask kids
Asking kids a simple question can be so much fun–if you’re asking the right ones!
Whether you have young children, teens or tweens, asking silly questions can be one of the most fun ways to get to know them. You can have a good time (without spending money) and get to know your kids in the process.
And if your kids can’t believe that you once played the part of a kid then you can share some silly stories of your own. Kids might be surprised to learn that the way they behave now isn’t that different from the behavior of their parents when they were younger!
Before you go, check out my favorite Busy Mom Resources for saving time, money and stress!